Time until gates open:
Scott Air Show Home Page Scott AFB History Scott Air Show Information Scott Air Show Performers Scott Air Show Displays Scott Air Show Frequently Asked Questions Scott Air Show Sponsors Scott Air Show Contacts
GREATER ST. LOUIS AIR & SPACE MUSEUM
Display: Air & Space Museum
 
Organization: Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum
 
Display Location: Large Hangar
 
Misc:
 
Website: www.airandspacemuseum.org
Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum
Divider

The fundamental purpose of the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum is education. The region's substantial contributions to the development of aerospace are legendary and must be displayed for the enjoyment and enlightenment of future generations. Besides the static exhibits, the museum is working on an active education program that will be conducted on-site and in area schools. Our Mission is to serve the public through: Preservation and display of historic air and space craft and artifacts, and Educational programs to foster the spirit of flight in today's youth and in future generations.

Our museum is located within the historic Curtiss Wright Hangar Number Two which is located at 2300 Vector Drive, Cahokia, Illinois 62206. It is situated at the west-southwest end of the St. Louis Downtown Airport. This hangar was placed onto the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.

In 1928 the Fruin-Coinon Contracting Company commissioned by the Curtiss Wright Company broke ground and began construction on two hangars (one of them is the subject of this proposal.) Both hangars were completed in 1929. The hangars featured ‘clear-span’ bays both of 10,000 square feet. Perched high on the front of both hangars is the old Curtiss-Wright company crest which depicts a high-wing robin aeroplane flying through clouds. The side pillars are sculpted in the art deco style to match the flavor of the crest.

Hangar number two originally served as a place of manufacture and storage of Curtiss-Wright aeroplanes. Later on the recommendation of Charles Lindbergh it was used by Transcontinental Air Transport (later TWA) as their first base in St. Louis. During World War Two, the Army Air Corps commandeered it and moved the Parks College Air Cadet Program there. Since then the hangar has housed many different aviation businesses including an aircraft stripping and painting facility. Now the hangar is home to the Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum (GSLASM.)

Home | Scott AFB | Info | Performers | Displays | FAQ | Sponsors | Contact
No Air Force, Government or Federal Endorsement Intended
Website built and maintained by: Geno Carvotta